View Single Post
Old
07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You might as well throw out Chicago, Vancouver and Pittsburgh, as the core of their teams revolve around at least 2 top-3 picks (Toews/Kane, Sedin/Sedin, Crosby/Malkin). That has nothing to do with scouting and everything to do with finishing last and picking the top name on the board - child's play. And now we've got our own in Galchenyuk and another top-5 pick in Price, so let's see how that plays out.

Nashville's superstars were/are gems that they found later in the draft, but what have they accomplished that Montreal hasn't? A team that has never made the conference final in their franchise history is a "perennial contender"?

Detroit is Detroit. I don't think there's any shame in admitting we're not at their level of finding superstars at later rounds in the draft, because no one is.

Boston is pretty much the only example you've given that works but even then, their Norris trophy winning defenseman and Vezina/Conn Smythe winning goaltender were acquired through free agency. I will grant that their own draft picks (Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Marchand) did play a big role in their Cup success though.

Los Angeles would be a good example - Kopitar, Quick, Brown and Doughty were all drafted by the Kings and all played a big role in their success. On the other hand, before this run as an 8th seed, no one would have ever called them "perennial contenders", and a case could be made that the additions of Richards and Carter helped push them over the edge.

So no, I would not say that the "perennial contenders" are where they are because of their ability to find stars in the draft (which has always been the one criticism of Timmins).
Bang. Says it all. Very good post. Take away the easy top 3 tanking draft picks, and we draft as well as anyone, and better.

Detroit is an outlier on the curve, because of 3, yes, that's all, 3, phenomenal later picks. Very good, or lucky, don't know.

Otherwise, cup winners draft high, that's the way it is now, and I'm glad we've joined the club.

But: I have 2 really really big problems with our drafting the last ten years, their names are Fischer, and Kostitsyn. Terrible terrible picks in years when there were so many better players.

Franchise changing picks. Disasters.

I'll give him a break on Kosty, as I'm not sure who the idiot was who decided to go with him, but TT is responsible for Fischer over Giroux, and I'll never forgive him for that, no matter how many 3rd liners he picks.

And don't say 12 other teams missed Giroux also. So what? Isn't TT supposed to be a top 3 head scout according to this thread? Then he should have picked Giroux, or he's not a top 3 head scout, or even a top 10, in my opinion.

End of story for me. TT is still a fail in my books for that one miss. It was a disaster.

I'll go further: Top scouts pick hidden stars. They may miss all the time, but they find the stars and pick them. TT does not, and never has, found a hidden star, ever.

Last edited by bsl: 07-12-2012 at 09:32 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote