View Single Post
Old
07-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Kessel early in his draft year was considered to be the American Sidney Crosby. The kid had elite potential. He was expected to go #1 overal however shockingly fell to #5.

I honestly believe after watching Kessel this past season, that the leafs could be sitting on the most dynamic offensive winger in the league. (excluding defensive play).

Kessel can absolutely take over a game and stick handle in a phone booth. He controls the pace of the game. A comparable style winger to Kessel IMO would be Alexander Ovechkin. Now I understand that Ovechkin has put up prolific HHOF numbers early in his career, however is falling back down to earth. Kessel is getting better as he begins to reach his prime.

Now i know there are the likes of Hossa, Kovalchuk, St.Louis. IMO a combination of age, potential, all around offensive game (including team mates, ability to score, puck handling talent, vision of the ice) i would say kessel was the most affective offensive forward in that group (offensively and excluding playoffs).

Of course all of this excludes his games against Boston. Kessel would actually be a plus player if we didnt play boston this year..

He had

3points in 6 games with a -11 rating ....

Kessel's stats without playing Boston

76GP 36G 43A +1 = 79P
Yeah I definitely remember the "American Crosby" hype, while his personality and obstacles (cancer) were different and changing his development path, he grew up dominating minor hockey just as prolific as Crosby did in American circles. Kessel definitely has elite skill and potential, while we all have our vision of what Elite is supposed to represent, he is in an elite class of his own on the Leafs. For now. Love the kid, loved the video, makes me wanna shoot some pucks now. Proud he's a Leaf.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote