Thread: Eklund: Marleau and dman to Habs
View Single Post
Old
07-12-2012, 05:16 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
from a fan POV, habs/sharks are a terrible fit... habs fans don't value Marleau anywhere near what Sharks fans expect to get for him, Sharks fans don't value habs top assets anywhere near their worth to the organization.

that said,

to Mtl
Marleau
Murray

to SJ
Eller
2013 2nd (highest of the 3 MTL owns)
2013 3rd or one of Palushaj/Geoffrion/Kristo
Bourque
Kaberle

habs get:
- quality top-line forward
- gritty bottom-3 dman

Sharks get
- talented young top-9 forward (he's a C, but used effectively as a W at the World Championships... could be used in either role)
- 2 picks
- puck moving/PP LHD
- top-9 winger with goal scoring ability
~1M$ in cap space

basically
Marleau = Eller/Kaberle/2nd/3rd
Murray = Bourque

quantity for quality, although Eller represents an asset who could develop into "quality" quite quickly.

imagine sharks fans response will be negative, but I don't really see any other assets that montreal would give up in a deal for Marleau (eller/picks being the "high" end).
I could see DW figuring that Kaberle/Bourque/Eller will offset the drop in offensive production from losing Marleau, just a question of wether the picks + Eller's future potential are enough incentive to make the deal.
I mean this in the nicest way possible, I would not want either of those guys if you gave them to us free. Kaberle because we have no use for him (he is not a 3rd pairing guy and cant be paired with Boyle/Burns) and Borque because he is overpaid and incredibly inconsistent.

So you are basically asking us to trade Marleau for Eller and some picks (not even a first).

Keep in mind, if we were shopping Marleau for real he could and would be a 1st line center on quite a few teams, some of whom are absolutely desperate for a #1c of any kind. We would get much better offers.