Thread: Speculation: Joe Colborne's Potential
View Single Post
Old
07-12-2012, 10:12 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
The best comparable for Colborne is Brian Boyle.

Both were 1st round picks.

Both are huge.

Neither fight.

Both have been accussed of not playing an aggressive enough of a style at times.

Both have good hands for such big guys. Just not good enough hands to be primarly offensive players at the next level.

If Colborne develops into someone as good as Boyle I'm very happy. A very useful 3rd liner whose main goal is to shutdown opposition players but can also chip in 30 to 40 points a year and ends up being #6/7 in terms of total ice time in the forward group. Who is tough to play against namely cause of his size, is relied on as a top penalty killer and can be used on the powerplay occassionally.
When I made a list of such players a few months back, Boyle was one of the guys.

The thing is, who cares? Are we really happy to have "the next Brian Boyle"?

Every team has a number of prospects that project to be mediocre NHL forwards; how does this put us ahead of any other team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
Um ... Colborne went the college route - not junior. Also, had he not gotten injured last year and kept up a pace even close to what he started the year, he would have likely finished the year with the Leafs.

I have no problem with his development so far, and am project he's a fully time Leaf in the top 6 by the end of next season.
I know Colborne played College, but he played two years there after being drafted, which would have been his last two junior years.

You can project that for him if you like. Just know that you have a 2/7 and you're projecting flopping a full house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Alexandre Burrows
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau
Clarke MacArthur
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Ryane Clowe
Jason Pominville
Brad Boyes
Kris Versteeg
Tomas Fleischmann
Curtis Glencross
David Desharnais
Andrei Kostitsyn
Brooks Laich
- Yes, Parenteau, Burrows, MacArthur, Clowe, Versteeg, Fleischmann & Descharnais are examples. Assuming Descharnais isn't a one year wonder.

- Sure, I guess you could say Pony was a legit top-6 forward for two seasons. Glencross & Kostitsyn are poor examples, they play in the top-6 but relatively weak production. That is really stretching it.

- Pominville doesn't count, he went to the AHL while still junior eligible and would have been an NHLer during the lockout almost certainly.

- Laich was almost certainly in the AHL in 2005 only because of the lockout.

- Boyes was definitely in the AHL a 2nd year because of the lockout.

Regardless of whether you agree, now remember that this is just the list of those who met that criteria (two full seasons at the AHL level after junior age) and still made it. There are countless players who met that criteria and didn't make it.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote