Thread: News Article: Ryan hopes to be traded to Flyers
View Single Post
Old
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
orangecrush8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Let me start by saying that I personally think Voracek, Read, Bourdon, + sits on the border between overpayment and significant overpayment depending on the +. That said, it's pretty clear to me that Bobby Ryan would be at least a modest to decently sized upgrade and there are some serious defensive misconceptions here about Ryan (and Voracek) for that matter.

First, defense.... here are the Corsi Rel QoC which control for quality of the competition you face and compare you against your peers.

2009 2010 2011 2012
Voracek 0.083 0.079 -.184 0.667
Ryan -.205 0.501 0.451 0.553

Now, let's look at Short-handed Time on Ice

2009 2010 2011 2012
Voracek 0:00 0:00 0:01 0:33
Ryan 0:00 0:12 1:08 0:42

If you can look at those stats and honestly tell me that Voracek is the better overall two-way player, you're simply out of your mind. In fact, even if you backtrack Ryan's stats back 2 years when they were similarly aged, the difference between them really isn't that big and the difference would not measure as being statistically significant by any statistician.

At the end of the day, CBJ... a terrible team... never saw Voracek as a premiere PKer. Lavi saw him as potential second PK option when guys were hurt. Ryan has been viewed by the Ducks as a solid second PK option for two seasons. Neither player's strength is defense, although both players sit comfortably in that average to above average range.
What I have a tough time gathering from your post is even after showing that Voracek and Ryan are similar defensively, you state that Voracek, Read, Bourdon + is bordering overpayment.

So coming from the Flyers we have...
- a player who scored 8 less points than Ryan and similar defensively.
- a player who scored 10 less points than Ryan, a top 4 pker, and an extremely low cap hit of 900k for another two years.
- a young dman who showed he can fill in as the 5-6th spot if necessary
**I figure I should add that Bourdon as a part of this deal is a moot point. Im more concerned about giving both Read and Voracek up
- plus _________

I really fail to comprehend how anyone (I'm not just singling out you) can not see that deal as beyond overpayment. It boggles my mind.