View Single Post
Old
07-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Puck and Gavel

vCash: 500
Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck and Gavel View Post
I think that guy is just wrong. I have to preface my answer by saying I know almost nothing about immigration law, but I still think the answer is pretty clear. Because no criminal liability attaches to something like this, I don't see any reason why Mr. Slovin would be prevented from entering Canada.
I spoke to the author of that article and he pointed me to his reasoning behind it. By the letter of the law... maybe he might be denied entry into Canada. Certainly it appears to be against the spirit of the law. Basically, there is a provision that states a traveler might be denied access into Canada if they are suspected of criminality. Also in Canada, defamatory libel is a crime. But the crime mentioned in connection with the suspicion of criminality is "importation of narcotics." I find it hard to believe that defamatory libel would be treated the same way as that. I'm actually reaching out to the Canada Border Services Agency to get clarification. I'll have more on it on my blog tomorrow.