Thread: Proposal: Trade for Iginla?
View Single Post
Old
07-13-2012, 12:12 PM
CTU2fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
He was a 25 year old rookie, which diminishes his value, and he was a rookie FA signing out of college, which dimishes his value to the fans. ie: He wasn't a top 5 draft pick or traded for the faces of the franchise = he's movable. I don't disagree. I don't think anyone is undervaluing Matt Read. I think we have his value right where it should be for our young forwards:

Giroux > Couturier > Schenn > Voracek > Simmonds > Read > Laughton > Cousins (IMO)
All of that is true. But it's to a great extent perception vs. what he is in reality. There's going to be a little bit of bias at work when discussing a deal with another GM and offering Read. They're going to value him to some degree as the guy they either passed on or never heard of before he joined the Flyers, and value him that way. I'd guess the Flyers would lose any deal that involved Read; he won't be the centerpiece of a deal for any of the top talent rumored to be available (Nash, Ryan, Yandle, Weber, etc) and adding him as a secondary piece to get one of those guys is an overpay. He's much more valuable to the Flyers than anything they could get in return, because of his perception and because of his cap hit.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote