Thread: Proposal: Edmonton - New Jersey
View Single Post
Old
07-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Jamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
You're going to quote hit stats at me to prove that one defenceman is better than another? Oh my. First of all, hits are a very subjective stat, certain arenas are liberal in counting them, others are more stingy at awarding them, and no matter what, players tend to be credited with more hits at home. The Devils are notorious for having very conservative official stat counters at the Rock. Second, it is possible to be a positional defenceman and still play superior defence to a guy who is more physical. This is an extreme example, but Lidstrom had only 41 hits this season, you're going to tell me that Smid is better than him defensively? Greene is an effective positional defenceman.

Greene-Fayne was the Devils' (somewhat unlikely) shutdown pairing in the playoffs, and Greene was the one who made that pairing what it was. They shut down Giroux, Hartnell, and Jagr in the series against the Flyers, and Gaborik and Richards against the Rangers. No easy task.
As are the oilers at rexall place. The media always talks about when they play at the Honda center or other arenas that are liberal with the amount of hits counted.

Cant comment on the positional play but inflated hit counts are not happening with Smid

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote