View Single Post
Old
07-13-2012, 05:48 PM
number72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I don't understand what you said here...

Kessel could've been signed to an OS at $5.4M with a compensation of 1st,2nd,3rd.
Chiarelli said he would match ANY offer on Kessel.
Burke was obviously in talks with Chiarelli, and when it was clear that an OS wouldn't work, trade talks ensued. Fair compensation was valued at 1st,1st,2nd.

Where I'm confused is how you can use this as any kind of evidence that trades are better/worse than offer sheets...?

Had Burke made the OS, and Boston had matched, then they would've had to trade someone off the roster to make room for Kessel. But that would've been only $1M or so and likely some 4th liner or 3rd liner for picks deal.

Kessel was the last player to be signed from that roster, and it wouldn't have been a situation like with Wilson OS Hjalmarsson on CHI to make Niemi/others unsigneable. Boston didn't have anyone else to sign, so they'd have just needed to get under the cap. With the rest of the summer to do it too.

Burke had the option of:
A) Get a highly-valued player coming off a 30g season and PPG playoff run; or
B) Piss off a rival GM, get nothing, and basically just cause a relatively minor trade between BOS and another team that would have had little to no effect on the rosters of those teams.

When BOS lost Kessel, they finished the following season with exactly 30 fewer goals than the year before. Infer whatever conclusions you want, but the draft pick compensation clearly had no effect on the Bruins roster (since they had yet to draft anyone.)
I think you are reading too much into this. I'm saying the trade should have gone through for less than the offer sheet value but not more. The offer sheet was designed to be difficult to poach players without overpaying.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote