View Single Post
Old
07-13-2012, 09:31 PM
RoadDoggFL

vCash: 595
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Do you believe Chael Sonnen truly believes everything he was saying?
That's irrelevant. He was intolerable before each fight and both he and his supporters were quick to forget that he didn't actually win either of them.

Quote:
He was hyping the fight and doing an incredible job of it. In certain interviews I thought he was hitting Sacha Baron Cohen levels in how committed he was to his character. Such interviews combined with Anderson Silva's elite fighting skills have vaulted Silva to a new level of popularity amongst the casual fan.
I want the athletes I watch to be people, not actors. Others want entertainment and they're entitled to it, but I'm not going to pretend that I agree that's how an athlete should behave.

Quote:
I would argue Sonnen was the opponent that Silva needed to reach that next level - a fighter that posed a serious threat to Silva's title reign (as evidenced by their first fight) and had the media skills to draw more eyes toward Silva so that he could demonstrate how good of fighter he is.
Silva doesn't need eyes on him to demonstrate his skill. Knocking out people with moves nobody even has the balls to try, clowining fighters for three rounds, and even managing to lose via disqualification from off of his back show plenty of skill. All Chael did was continue writing the book Hendo started and gave fuel to his haters. Sure, he overcame the obstacle, but I doubt any people who were a haters before changed their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
No one made that argument but thanks for chiming in.
No, but it's important to make sure that they weren't. When people seem shocked by the implication that Silva didn't take much damage, it's important to remind them that there were two fighters involved in the match.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote