View Single Post
Old
07-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I think it COULD be us. But I'd prefer to probably pass. I love Doan and want him here but that kind of contract with the 35+ rule is a huge risk. It's like another Holik-type overpayment all over again. Regardless, we would make some sense. Eastern Conference team, have the money and cap space to spend, Terry wants the Cup and is willing to take risks, Darcy has proven he can make big moves in trades and free agency and even in the draft, and adding Doan would totally change the structure of this team in regards to leadership and heart IMO. Could be exactly who Terry wants. Also, the team knows it has to overpay in order to lure Doan out of the Western Conference and likely across the continent, taking his family into consideration. We're also always a team that has to overpay somewhat, even under new ownership.

Whoever it is, the team wants Doan badly and knows that a huge offer is one thing that could entice Doan to reject San Jose, Vancouver, and other closer teams regionally and come to the other conference. Not only that, but the term is even more in Doan's favor. The offering team probably hopes a longer term will be easy to sway Doan to move his family to a new city and not just be there for a year or two. More of like a new permanent home.

Of all the teams, it was reported yesterday about 16 of them have reached out to Doan. Those teams are pretty clearly BUF, CAR, CHI, DET, LAK, MTL, NYR, PHI, PIT, SJS, STL, TBL, TOR, VAN, and WPG. That's 15 teams, with the last one obviously Phoenix, if we're counting them.