Old
07-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Gary Roberts and Mark Recchi both played till they were about 42-43. And they weren't completely washed up for those later years. I'd have taken either of those guys on the roster at 40.

Having Doan for four years starting at age 35 is not a worry for me. If he doesn't have to retire due to some injury by then, he'll still bring things to the table at 38 or 39.
7.5 million dollars of things to the table? Roberts and Recchi were exceptions to the norm, yet they certainly weren't worth $7.5 million dollars. The risk of being stuck with that hit should Doan not be an exception to the norm + a massive overpayment at the end of his career that you can't do anything to alleviate is such a huge risk.

Jagr didn't get near $7.5 million dollars and I'm quite sure Doan will not be better than Jagr at his age, plus his price tag came with no risk, which increases the relative value of his cost.

I doubt Doan gets the contract that's been reportedly offered because it's insane.

And for the record, I do believe his cap hit remains on the books even if he retires, but hopefully someone who knows for sure can chime in on that.