Old
07-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
NHL proposal to players:
1-reduce players hockey related revenues to 46% from 57 %.
2-10 seasons in NHL before being UFA.
3-contracts limites to 5 years
4-no more salary arbitration.
5- entry-level contract 5 years instead of 3.

Lockout.
This gives no indication of what will happen, but definitely shows that the NHL has no problem being strong in their demands. You expected them to be high on the first offer, but that's much more than expected, and includes some things that I didn't expect to be sticking points(like entry level deals). This list also doesn't include the NHL wanting to redefine what HRR is, so not only do they want to give them a smaller piece of the pie, they want to shrink the pie as well. They also want the players to earn the same salary every year. I think I also read somewhere they only want the ceiling to be $4 million above the midpoint, as opposed to the $8 million it is now.

But aside from there being no hockey to start the year, it's a pretty good indicator for us. For one, expect Getzlaf and Perry to really get these contract extension talks going. With basically everything indicating that they won't get monster deals on the open market, they'll want to get what they can while they can get it. I think I predicted matching 7 year, $50 million deals. I have a good feeling that's exactly what will happen now. Maybe they really want security and go for something like 10 year, $60-65 million deals. But I would be surprised if neither is wrapped up before Labour Day.

The rest of the demands also indicate two great things for us: the cap is definitely going down and cap circumventing contracts will be done away with. And with Fehr's stance on rollbacks, I think that's where the amnesty clauses come in.