View Single Post
07-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Registered User
edwardslane's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
A 5 year ELC will be terrible for elite players who can get into the league at 18 but are good for prospects who need time to develop. I always thought a 4 year ELC made some sense but maybe tweak the bonus structure to benefit time in the NHL.
I agree.. I edited my post afterwards to include a bit more perspective. 3 years up to 4 years could work if like you said they restructure the pay scale a bit. 4 years at 900k isn't enough when players can get wayyy more in the KHL.

Imagine is Mackinnon decided to play in the KHL for 4 years for 5 million per season. He's the type of prospect that could get that type of money.

Why play in the NHL for 3.6 million Taxed at 40-45% when i can play in russia and make 20 million at a lower tax rate?

here's some info on russian tax laws..

Last partial update, May 2012.
Russia has a uniform rate of tax on the income of individuals. As of 2012 tax in Russia is payable at the rate of 13% for an individual on most income. (non-residents 30%). Russian residents pay 9% on dividend income. (Deduction at source).
Non-residents pay 15% on dividend income.
Exemptions are granted to certain income earners.
The standard rate of Russia corporate profit tax in 2012 is 20%.
Companies pay 9% tax on dividend income. Under certain terms dividend income received by companies with holding of 50% or more is entitled to participation exemption.
Russia Income Tax for an Individual
An individual is liable for tax on his income as an employee and on income as a self-employed person. Tax will be payable on income earned in Russia and overseas by an individual who meets the test of a "permanent resident" of Russia.
A foreign resident who is employed in Russia pays tax only on income earned in Russia.
To be considered a Russian resident, residence must be established of at least 183 days in Russia during 12 months in a calendar year.
An employer is obligated to deduct, immediately, each month, the amount of tax and national insurance due from a salaried worker.
A self-employed individual is obligated to make advance payments on income tax that will be offset on filing an annual report. In the case of a new business, the advance payments will be calculated on the basis of the business owner's estimate. The advance payments will be made at least 3 times in each year.
Certain payments are deductible from taxable income as detailed below.

edwardslane is offline   Reply With Quote