View Single Post
Old
07-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
7.5 @ 4 years for an 35 years old 50 point player? Have you lost your freakin' mind?

I can understand that you like what he brings to the table. I like Doan too. He would be a great leader. But at 7.5 per season?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
On the age thing, I've been against Iginla because of his age for 5 years now. Five years later he's still performing, Selanne too. This is no proof of Doan but like the guy above me said "risks are how you win cups".
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
42 year old Temmu Selane signed a new one year deal @ 4.2 mil or something like that
Selanne led the Ducks in scoring last season, despite his age - and while his passion is similar to that of Doan and Iginla, let's remember that he plays a different style of game that demands less wear and tear on his body.

That said, count me into the camp that thinks Doan for long-term AND big dollars is not the smart route to go. Either give him a big paycheck ($6M) on a short-term (1-2 years) deal or give him the long-term security of a 4-5 year deal but at much more reasonable $3.5M - 4M cap hit.

Overall, there is some merit to the arguments Bulldog was making on WGR yesterday - bringing in a veteran leader and true professional like Doan into the locker room now, while the Sabres are infusing a new wave of young core players under the age of 23 (Hodgson, Ennis, Myers, Foligno, Girgensons, McNabb) could be an investment in really establishing a new "culture", similar to what Briere/Drury helped do in their short tenures. Based on that, I can look past fact that Doan will be 36 this year.