View Single Post
Old
07-14-2012, 11:53 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket of Russia View Post
I agree with what you're saying for the most part: better young prospects aren't necessarily the trade bait, but the variable that allows for the proven defensemen to be shipped for higher returns, as the young players step in. However, I think a GM would walk a thin line of doing what's best for the team on paper, and going full Holmgren. It might be a blow to morale to feel as though you could spend 5 or 6 years of your life in an organization, improving and growing with each year, only to be shipped out down the line when forwards are needed to be brought in. And if Letang is traded I will just probably throw a tantrum.

Yeah, I agree: Letang better not be going anywhere. He is a franchise defenseman, and as much as I love our overall defensive depth & variety of players with different skill-sets, none of these guys (at this point) project to be the kind of elite, #1 Dmen & perrenial Norris candidate that Letang could be, to say nothing of the intangibles that Kris brings in terms of leadership, character, desire to win, etc. He'll be the one "veteran" that we'll keep around and will always mentor and help the young guys coming through the pipeline.