Thread: Blake Geoffrion
View Single Post
Old
07-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Habaddict

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
The name helps but he has a very solid resume to back it up.

He had good numbers in the NCAA. Had overall solid numbers in the AHL. And his first stint in the NHL was pretty good.

He has flaws that are holding him back for sure. But I don't think it's too late for him... yet. He needs to put it all together this season though. Either destroy the AHL and get a call-up, or have a great camp and grab a spot on the fourth line. But that's only the first part. Once that's done, he needs to prove he has what it takes to stick in the NHL.

If he ends up playing on a fourth line, he'll have to make his way up. Meaning, he'll have to adapt his game to a more "grinding" role and show he takes his career seriously. If he does that, he'll rack up some point but most of all, he'll gain the trust of his coach and when the time will come, he'll get a shot at playing with Eller, Plekanec or Desharnais (a real offensive role). That's when he really needs to grab the opportunity and show he's a keeper.

Won't be an easy road for Geoffrion. But I sincerely believe he has what it takes. He also is going to have to battle Palushaj who is in a very similar situation.
If Geoffrion has a great camp, I can't see this helping much. Certainly I can't
see tearing up the AHL as helping much. And I think he has already "put it all together". The reason he is a marginal player at the NHL level, but a
good player at the AHL level, and a superior player at the college level, is one
of physical limitations. He doesn't skate well enough to use his skills effectively.
And he's not strong enough to make a career out of his determination and
understanding of the game.
These are thing that have to change over time, primarily in the offseason.
And they change much more often for 18 year old draftees, than for 25 year olds.
Mostly because at 18 few athletes have reached their physical peak, and not all
have reach their potential as skaters. At 25,after working on their game, and training
those extra years ,they are much closer to their ceiling.
But because Geoffrion is close to effective in the NHL now, he may need
only small improvements in his weaker areas. Certainly he has shown at other
levels that he can make the most of his strengths.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote