View Single Post
Old
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
I actually have a pretty funny story about a racist comment made towards me. I'm Puerto Rican and Spaniard. Bascially, I look Euro, but I'm not. Most people don't realise I'm hispanic until I tell them, and they never really cared.

I played hockey from the age of 9 to 19 here in Arizona. I played with Jews, Blacks, Asians, and Hispanics. The Jew got the most trash (verbal) thrown at him by far! Second would be the less talented players, and third was the dorky guys (of all colors).

I played at a high level; AA, AAA, and Jr hockey. And at low levels (highschool here is a joke and house leagues). The only racist comment that was ever directed at me in a derogatory way was when I played up an age group for an A team at a tournament. The funny part is that it was a mexican with the little stache and all that said it to me. His exact words were: "Go back to your own country."

To this day I have no idea what he meant. I wasn't upset, I was honestly extremely confused. It makes me chuckle just thinking about it. Outside of that one time, I've never felt like people were being racist towards me. Certainly no one said anything racist towards me.

When I was 16 I went to tryouts for a Jr team and didn't make it. I was focused about what I did wrong. My father on the other had felt it was because of the color of his skin -- he is quite a bit darker than me. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard him say, and I will never forget it. I felt it was such a copout -- an excuse for MY failure. I told him that he was full of **** and to get off his soapbox.

A year later that same Jr. coach walked up to my dad and asked him if he would push me to tryout again. The same coach my dad felt was shunning me because of his dark skin. Sometimes people look for things that aren't always there. Obviously if someone says something racist right to your face there is no speculating. But when it comes to being chosen for a team, or not being on a certain line, it's likely that race is the least of the reasons, if it is a reason at all.

Kind of off-topic. But I played a few tournaments in Canada, and I have to say that the people in TO were by far the nicest we met. Gave us free freaken syrup in Maple Leaf shaped glass jars for free because we were there for hockey. Loved it!

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote