View Single Post
Old
07-15-2012, 02:26 AM
stocky

vCash: 500
Skating Questions

Evening everyone, tonight I was at an open skate and since there weren't a lot of people there I was practicing my skating in the face off circles in the corners. I was doing figure 8s and I found that for some reason, I can crossover much better counter clockwise then clockwise. I was trying to figure out why. I can still do it, but for some reason, I feel like I cant get as deep of a cut doing clockwise on my inside foot (or I need to go deeper to turn as sharply) and the outside of my right boot scrapes the ice. I thought I might just need to tighten the skate, so I tried that, and it helped a little, but Im still not able to cut as quickly.

I also find it is the same when I am skating backwards and doing crossovers. I can go counter but im shaky on clockwise.

Also, I just recently learned how to hockey stop, but only with the right foot as the lead (working on the left), and I havent figured how to bring in my back foot into the stop. Is it supposed to be used as well? Are there any good drills I can practice to get better? I find that Im the kind of person that when I learn something, even if I know its wrong its hard to break, so Im hoping I didnt fall into that here and I just need to add one more element into my skating to complete it.

Do I need a stiffer skate? Are my skates not equally sharpened or even not enough? Im using Bauer Vapor x3.0s. Theyre sharpened to 1/2. I know I may need to go to some classes, to figure out what I need to do to improve, but until then I thought I'd see if any of you had any ideas.

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote