View Single Post
Old
07-15-2012, 01:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
As a Phoenix Coyotes fan, I'd be thrilled to add him to our club. I think Mason has a lot in common with Mike Smith and I think he could enjoy some of the same success Smith enjoyed while experiencing the tutalage of Mike himself, goaltending guru Sean Burke (who himself is similar in many ways to both Mason and Smith), as well the opportunity to play behind a Dave Tippett system and with an excellent group of defensemen in front of him. Given Mason's young age, inherent talent, and proven ability I believe Phoenix is the absolute perfect place for him to resuscite his once promising career.

I love the options such a turn around would provide Phoenix with. Not only would we gain leverage in contract negotiations with Mike Smith who is entering the final season of his two year contract, but also a young goalie like Mason, if he does rebound, would hold a whole lot of trade value next summer.

That said, at this moment, Steve Mason has negative trade value. As long as the Coyotes are still trying to hit the cap floor I'd happily trade our awful back up Jason LaBarbera straight across for Steve Mason. It's necessary Columbus takes him back. Even contract swap and Phoenix can't bury one way contracts in the minors. The Blue Jackets get a tremendous amount of budget relief and are able to turn the page on the Mason era to focus on Bobrovsky as the next ace candidate.

I'd be willing to add a minor asset. Mid to late pick or last chance prospects like Goncharov or Tikhonov. Maybe even David Schlemko if he gets passed on the depth chart. He's actually a really solid player, though.