View Single Post
Old
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouturiersFrontTeeth View Post
I would prefer signing Semin to trading for Ryan or Nash because we wouldn't have to dismantle our lineup. We already have an excellent young core of Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Read and Wellwood, along with older players like Briere and Hartnell. Throw in Alexander Semin to our current lineup and our forwards just became scary good.

In order to acqure Ryan or Nash, we would have to part with 2 of Voracek, Simmonds, Read, or Laughton and I am not willing to do that.

We have plenty of cap space, so trading away our young assets does not make sense when we can sign Semin without having to give up value.

My only misgiving over signing Semin would that he would want too many years. I'd be more than happy to sign him on a short term deal in the range of $6-7 million.

However, if he wants more years or money than that, he can go elsewhere and I'm confident we can succeed with our roster as is. In that scenario, we'd have enough cap space to pretty much trade for whoever is available at the deadline when we have a better idea of who can handle what responsibilities.
I'd offer Semin 3 yrs x $5M. If he sucks, and I don't think he would, you could always waive him. It's only money and someone would pick him up.

He is one of the most dangerous players in the league, and as a UFA, would come without giving up players. Then, when his contract runs out, it'll be right on time to sign Ryan as a UFA....

I liked the extra threat that Zherdev provided at times. Can you imagine our PP:

Timonen and Voracek on the points
Hartnell in front. Giroux on the halfboards on the left side, Semin working the give and gos with CG.

That could be very dangerous...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote