View Single Post
Old
07-15-2012, 08:50 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Anyone arguing against keeping Lin is either someone who wasn't a fan to begin with or is lapping up the company line being distributed to the press. There is no rational reason not to keep him.

The Knicks will be over the cap for the next 3 seasons REGARDLESS of whether or not they match. The only difference is the amount of tax they pay. So, even if you don't plan on keeping him, why give him up for nothing? Given his Bird rights, you are in the unique position of keeping an extra valuable player that you would not otherwise be able to keep - it's not like he's taking a spot that could go to some other player of equal (or even far lesser) value.

The logical thing to do is to match. Then, you can either keep him or trade him. But giving him up for nothing? Foolishness and - if it happens - simply the crowning example of Dolan's ego dictating personnel decisions to the lasting detriment of the team and its fanbase.

If it happens, it will be the last straw for me.
It really doesn't make sense that this would be about money. but it could be. I wouldn't rule it out. Anything is possible with this dysfunctional organization.

So my guess is that the Knicks are either upset at the way Lin has handled this (according to all these reports) or they simply don't think he's worth the contract.

He is, essentially a prospect still. Would you pay a prospect who hasn't even played a half a season, let alone a full season, 30 million?

But like I said, I kind of doubt it's about money. I believe the Knicks are pissed at Lin for going back to Houston for money after the original offer sheet was reasonable.

I think the Knicks played this wrong too. By telling him to test the market instead of just offering the most they could, 24 mill.
Grunwald probably thought there was no way there would be a team that pays him more than that.

He was obviously wrong.