Thread: Trade Weber?
View Single Post
Old
07-15-2012, 11:10 PM
MarkMM

vCash: 500
Agreed that the CBA counts in Nashville's favor, but I wonder how far Poile can push it. In the next CBA Weber may not get a lifetime deal, but he'll still get paid well regardless. I know Poile said he'd match any offersheet and it was the smart thing to say, but is it the smart thing to do?

If someone offersheets Weber for $8-10 million/year for one year, Nashville has the money and the cap to match it, but from that point on Weber can't be traded and one would assume is all but lost for nothing once the season is up. And Nashville may have gotten another year out of of him, but on the heels of Suter, have now lost a second prime asset for nothing.

If I was a GM in on Weber, this would be the trump card I'd hold over Poile. Either trade him for a "reasonable" price, or I'll offer-sheet Weber, and you'll either be left with nothing for him next year, or nothing but draft picks from me.

Many moving pieces, and no one has the trump card. Weber either wants to stay or wants to be traded, but will want it THIS year. Poile can deny Weber a lifetime deal by holding on to him, but then will be left with poor asset management. And teams trading for Weber have to be a team Weber wants to go to, and for a price that Poile can keep his job with.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote