View Single Post
Old
07-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Pirates may lose a draft pick over $8,000

Looks like the Pirates might lose one of their players that they signed just before the deadline over $8,000.00. The story pretty much says it all, he might end up at UM afterall.

Honestly, Pirates ownership makes it so easy for me to make fun of them at times.

Skokie’s Kevin Ross having second thoughts about signing with Pirates

Rob Hart~Sun-Times Media

Updated: July 15, 2012 2:42PM

PITTSBURGH — Kevin Ross wanted the Pittsburgh Pirates to show him the money. He was underwhelmed by the display.

The Pirates, who selected Ross in the eighth round of the MLB draft in June, offered a signing bonus of $130,000 that fell short of the amount recommended for his slot.

Ross, a five-tool shortstop who starred for Niles West after transferring from Mather following his sophomore year, reluctantly agreed on Friday. But the Skokie resident is unhappy was having second thoughts on Saturday.

“I don’t want to call them cheap. Maybe they think I’m not a good enough player to be worth more than that,” said Ross, who wanted to go pro as soon as possible, but could wind up honoring his verbal commitment to play for University of Michigan. “Right now, I feel like I want to play college ball.”

Ross was scheduled to fly to Bradenton, Fla., on Monday to take a physical, formally sign his contract and start playing rookie ball for the Pirates. He’s doing some serious soul-searching over the weekend.

“He hasn’t signed anything yet. He wants the opportunity to play professionally, but not if he feels like his abilities aren’t being valued or appreciated,” said his father Gerald, his lifelong baseball mentor. “But this will be his decision. I’ll just tell him to do whatever he feels is best for him.”

Under its new and more stringent collective bargaining agreement, MLB instituted a cap on the amount each team could spend on its top 10 draft picks. Ross and many others felt the repercussions.

But Pittsburgh opted to get even stingier with Ross and his adviser, Jeff Borris of Beverly Hills Sports Council. The slot money corresponding to Ross’s draft position was $138,200. The Pirates held firm at $8,200 less.

“(Borriss) said he felt like he could get more money. But as things went on, then he was saying, ‘For some reason, they’re not budging,’ ”said Ross, who turns 19 on Sept. 17.

http://mortongrove.suntimes.com/spor...h-pirates.html