View Single Post
Old
07-16-2012, 06:22 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub the Bub View Post
Maybe they're just trying to get these things done before the new CBA happens in case it brings about any undesirable changes...
The owners are asking for 5 year entry level contracts. Any NHL team would drool over that possibility.

Now ... in reality ... my guess that was one of the decoy demands they aren't too concerned about. The last CBA reduced the impact and cost of ELC's (in terms of big, upfront signing bonuses).

The 5 year demand could also just be an angle to set up some system of a required 2 year bridge contract which there has been some noise about reducing the impact of 2nd contracts (this is the reason Jamie Benn isn't signed, and GMJN states he wants to wait for the new CBA every time Benn comes up).

It's just my wild *** guess, but ELCs either stay the same or have minimal changes likely in favor of the owners. The players will make some concessions to get as big a piece of the revenue as possible. I can't see the PA fighting too hard for ELCs when there already isn't much money in them, and it's a system that doesn't seem to be broke.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote