View Single Post
Old
07-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm not sure if the Pens gave the Hill money it would change anything. The city ignores that section of the city. Dilapidated houses are left standing, sidewalks are cracked, and weeds are overgrown. This also goes back to the people. For a section of the city to look beautiful, the residents have to care. With the Hill having a ton of section 8 housing, those residents don't have to care about anything.
This is also true, especially the bold part.

I live in the city of Cleveland in an area that was a once time thriving community. There is a 100 year old West Side Market in the area that was/is one of the best food markets of it's kind in the country. The area in the last 20 years has made a huge comeback. New businesses have opened up, a vibrant restaurant and bar scene now exists, new construction of condos and townhomes are popping up nearly every year, etc. The one part that I appreciate the most is that there is still affordable housing in the area and they have maintained the significant cultural landmarks, architecture, etc of the area. It is now a community with young professionals, familes, and long time residents and all can reasonably co-exist.

Many of these changes have come as a result of the local CDC (community development corporations). They have worked in partnerships with business and government to get grants and encourage growth. That is all well and good, but if the people in the area don't have a vested interest in the community, things can fall back to where they were. This is where the role of the average resident comes into play. The neighborhood block clubs in my community are a big part of keeping the area clean and safe. It is up to every resident to give a crap about where they live.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote