Thread: Expectations
View Single Post
Old
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
There is an optimist within me that wants to give Bryzgalov the benefit of the doubt, and I pray to god that he improves greatly. But if he improves to the extent that he's capable of leading a team to a Stanley Cup victory, honestly, that would be a miracle.

We've seen Bryz play at a high level, yes, but even when he is playing well, he lets in horrible goals, is often very unattentive, is very slow moving side to side and looks extremely awkward playing the puck. Goaltending is a position where confidence makes an extreme difference, but you have to wonder if Bryz has the mental fortitude to handle the pressure of playing in the Stanley Cup final, now that he completely trashed the 2011-2012 season and his reputation in Philadelphia.

Bryz is not a normal athlete with a normal professional athlete's attitude. Seeing Bryz face the media every game made me sad to be a Flyers fan. He needs to sack up and not act like a child in front of the media and give some semblance of resolve and prove he's not as mentally fragile as I believe him to be.
After christmas Bryz put up ~.920 through to the start of the playoffs, good for top 10 in the NHL during that time, and had maybe 7 bad games in 35 during that time.

He ended the year with a respectable sv%... even though he was worst in the NHL during the first part of the year.

He did look a lot better in the last half of the year, and I think the reason was that he came here overweight, and struggled adjusting to the city and the media, and let it all get into his head, just look at how much better he handled the media in the later part of the year.

Next year he will be .915-920%... just like he has been for most of his career, in my opinion he will continue as he did after christmas, as opposed to how he started the year.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote