View Single Post
Old
07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Ken Jones' latest statement:

Quote:
“I am one of the two originators of the referendum. We still expect a public vote on Glendale’s expensive lease with Jamison, the potential owner of the Coyotes hockey team.
We are determined to force fans to pay for their hockey. If the public doesn’t get to vote on the Jamison lease, we have two backup plans.
First, if it becomes necessary, a ground roots effort will be made to add a $30.00 surcharge or special use tax to every future ticket sold for regular season and playoff games. If this does not work, we will go to a Plan B and then continue until hockey costs are removed from Glendale’s taxpayers.”
It's pretty clear to me that he has a very personal issue with hockey and the Coyotes and the Coyotes fans. He hasn't had any other issues with the city budget - and certainly does not feel that his overuse of city water supplies warrants him paying more than everyone else for that water.

Seeing as how he had so much difficulty gathering the 1862 signatures needed to get the arena lease on the ballot, I don't know how he's going to get enough signatures for a referendum to add a $30 surcharge to each ticket. While the arena management issue was tricky and involved lots of different numbers, the average person will understand quite easily "add $30 to every ticket sold? are you CRAZY?"

Oh, and he admits he's going this route b/c he doesn't have the money to fight the earlier petitions being rejected.