View Single Post
Old
07-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3361 View Post
This. Seems more likely to me that last year was the fluke/ worst case scenario and I would expect a playoff run this year. This team is in better shape than others. You have the goalie, if Markov comes back the D is solid, and you have talent at the C position. Prust, Cole and Bourque bring some grit. If the coaching is competent, I dont see why you arent a playoff team and I'm a Bruins fan.
Montreal had to have a perfect storm of bad breaks to end up where they did. Its actually pretty likely that they'll have a significantly worse lineup and even play worse overall and yet still end up way better on the standings. As I always like to bring up, they were only -2 in actual hockey GF-GA last year. They could have easily have been in the playoffs over the likes of Florida even playing terrible hockey.

Quality of lineup or team play hasn't corelated very strongly to results in Montreal lately. The 2009-10 squad was terrible and they made the ECF. Their best team since the nineties was in 2010-11 and they finished 6th and went out in the first round.

I think 2008-09 was more talented than 2007-08 but the lesser team won the conference in the regular season and went to the second round in the playoffs.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote