View Single Post
Old
07-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Hey guys, I need an important question answered and figured I could get some help here.

Back in May, I visited your lovely city for a week. My Canadian ways led me to drink a beer in public, and evidently, I got caught by NYPD and was issued an open container ticket. I know, not too smart.

Anyhow, I was told by the officers that all I had to do was mail a money order ($25) and I was good. I then enjoyed my stay in New York. Fast forward to now, and I remember about this. I completely forgot to pay the fine and I have a court appearance scheduled on July 25th. Evidently, I cannot make it there. I'd love to pay the fine, but apparently I only had 10 days after the incident to do that (plead guilty).

The thing is, I did not have any ID on me and the officer wrote the address of my youth hostel on the summons. The youth hostel does not have my real address as I am not the one who booked the hostel. They have my name and DOB, but that's all.

I'm just weighting my options right now. Do I still try to pay it via mail and hope that they accept the (extremely) late guilt plea/fine payment? Do I let it go, hoping they're gonna dismiss the case since they literally have no way to contact me/find me? Or is there something else I can do?

Thanks a lot to those who can help!
Why don't you call the City and ask? It's probably better to get this thing dealt with, rather than leave it (there are additional penalties added the longer it's outstanding). And with the data exchange that goes on between police agencies, you never know what is being told about you.

By the way, you were very lucky--until recently if you didn't have any identification on you there was a very good chance the police would take you down to central booking and put you through the system.