View Single Post
Old
07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I don't deny that there are guys who deserve to be up there, but to me that doesn't necessarily diminish my belief that the numbers we have up there are deserving.

I think the real difference in opinion comes down to whether one believes a number being retired is for the truly elite, or whether it can also include guys who were very good, but who tended to show up more than just on the stat sheet.

Personally, I tend to fall into the latter category.

I am cool with people not necessarily buying into that notion, but it is rather disheartening when people throw words around like "cheapens" or "destroys." Even if you don't believe a guy like Graves belongs to have his number retired, I think he deserves better comments than that.
No surprise that I disagree. I feel the rafters have been cheapened but it is a symptom of a larger problem.

We have become a society that loves to bestow honors on our own.

We give out awards for everything. On TV it seems like every week there is some awards show.

We used to reserve rewards for greatness. Now it is for the very good and or the popular.

The baseball hof has allowed Mazeroski, among others in.

MSG went nuts because of the Cup. Kovalev was as important as Graves for that Cup. Should we put him up there?

In little league everyone gets a trophy

Last edited by chosen: 07-17-2012 at 12:06 PM.