View Single Post
Old
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
After the way Snyder handled Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen, I'm very confident he can create a compelling and interesting Superman. We live in a culture that embraces the anti-hero, an almost fascist portrayal of an individual that doesn't seem to care about the rules and consistently breaks them to adhere to his/her own set of morals. It's why characters like Batman and Iron Man are so unbelievably popular at the moment - everyone is a cynic right now.

However, an even more powerful message for a cynical society is that of detachment and despondence from an increasingly chaotic world, something Superman conveys perfectly. There is a reason Superman is consistently ranked as the greatest superhero ever conceived. The point is not that he is all powerful or altruistic; the point is that he can still be emotionally compromised and must consistently find reasons to save a society that seems hell bent on destroying itself. THAT is the message of Superman, and it still resonates with everyone if only communicated properly.

Superman has yet to be portrayed in film as he was in certain graphic novels like The Dark Knight Returns, for example. Frank Miller's Superman was amazing. He was cold, distant, jaded, detached from the world, filled with self doubt. This was diametrically opposed to Miller's 55 year old Batman, who was simply calloused and driven entirely by rage at what the world had become.

If Snyder portrays a conflicted Superman anything like Miller's in The Dark Knight Returns, we'll be in for a treat.
Good thoughts. The vibe I'm getting from Man of Steel is the "outsider" role for Superman is going to be expanded upon a bit. I'm not sure Superman needs to be "edgy" (like Batman is), but it would be interesting if he's a bit more conflicted on his role on earth and is if not resentful, a bit wary of public perception.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote