View Single Post
Old
07-17-2012, 05:30 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
1995:
Steve Duchesne 0 (0-0-0); Brian Leetch 0 (0-0-0)
---- don't think I put these two in the top-10 list, but they were listed in the voting records as top-10 without getting any votes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I believe they voted on who the top-6 should be and then cast votes among those six. So unofficially, I think these two are counted because they were voted to this point, even if they didn't get any votes in the "finals".

They at least won their heats, so to speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yeah, that was the lockout half-year, when East and West teams didn't play each other in the regular season. So I think that each conference voted separately, and there was a 2nd round of voting with only the leaders from each conference as candidates.
In 1995, the Norris and Vezina (don't recall if any others) were voted on a conference basis. Each conference voted only on their own conference. So "finalists" was an apropos term, if applied to the three top vote-getters from each conference. After the six had been selected, votes were cast among them league-wide. It's how you also end up with Trevor Kidd in the top six in Vezina voting; nobody in their right mind would be voting for him. I'm still stunned when looking at numbers from that year that Kidd beat both Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood (especially Osgood) in voting. Playing a lot of games doesn't make you a good goalie, and Kidd did absolutely nothing else. Straight sv% says Osgood-Moog-Hrudey should have been the list (Hasek-Thibault-Vanbiesbrouck in the East) with Hasek-Osgood-Thibault as the final list.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote