View Single Post
Old
07-17-2012, 06:48 PM
IComeInPeace

vCash: 500
I'm Indian (parents are from India)...
I played hockey for most of my life from the age of about 4 up to 18 yrs of age (in Vancouver).
I only recall a couple instances where I heard racial slurs during a game.
2 games in 14 or 15 years isn't so bad. If it wasn't my race, they would have found something else to say that was meant to be equally offensive.

When I was 12 years old my father put me in a 2 week summer hockey school, where the kids were up to 2 or 3 years older than me. Usually they keep the ages closer together.
Anyways, in this case there were a couple of guys who kind of ran the dressing room, and made me the target of racist jokes for pretty much the entire 2 week period. I didn't tell anyone, but on one of the last days of the school my father went in the dressing room to grab an extra hockey stick I left behind, and the friggers had the nerve to make a racist remark to my father.

I was only 12 at the time, and the camp was essentially over, so I kind of let it go. Even at that time, if it had come down to a one on one fight, even 3 years younger than him, I would probably have given this older kid a good run for his money, but for whatever reason I didn't do anything.

That's really the only time in my life I've ever been exposed to overt racism. To this day, it still makes my blood boil. I went so far as to look up his name and where he lived, years later, to make him answer for his behavior. I didn't follow through with it, but I'm embarrassed to say, even now, at over 40 years of age, if I ever ran into him, I'd confront him about it.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be exposed to that crap all of the time.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote