View Single Post
Old
07-17-2012, 11:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Honestly, if I had my way, Kindl would alreayd have 2 full seasons under his belt. Smith would have a full season under his belt. Nyquist would have been to the AHL a year earlier and been a fulltimer last season. Tatar would have been a full-timer this year. Andersson would have been a 4th line center last year.

People ought to check out the rookie scoring leaders in the NHL these last couple years. Plenty of teams who went further than us did so with rookies who achieved not very much at the AHL level.
I am with you on a lot of that. When they turned down the rumored Bogosian deal it was time to play Kindl if he was the sticking point and not the draft picks. Smith actually used a lot of last year to improve quite a bit, but he could have played. The Kindl one just stinks because sitting in the press box isn't doing him a ton of good at least when they slow play the other guys they are getting increased ice time and development.

Nyquist should have turned pro after his sophomore year, I wasn't a memeber here back then but I was upset about that also. Where was he going to improve from there his junior season at Maine was redundant and didn't do much for him. Andersson enjoyed a breakout last year he wasn't ready until at least mid-season in my opinion. But some of these guys got to play, if you want to say we don't give jobs away in Detroit that is fine, but when guys get beat out in competitions by younger players occasionally you have to go with that guy. They did that with Filppula, Z, Kronwall and it needs to be done a little more often with this current group coming through. Not everyone benefits from the slow play, I think Smith actually will, but if Jurco lights up the AHL next year he doesn't need to continue to sit down there because he has options.