View Single Post
Old
12-02-2003, 03:50 AM
Steve L*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
I'm a Giguere fan and I see no problem at all with what he wears, however I'm not sure what's up with this 'thicker' theory. People pick on Giggy because his positional play is second to none and he gets his upper body in front of more shots than any goaltender that came along before him. Reducing the size of his gear won't change that, a very high percentage of the shots he takes to the upper body hit him in the logo anyway.
There was a photo of him standing next to Brodeur, his chest pad was stupidly large, it wasnt for protection, it was to stop the puck, if that was reduced, more shots would go in.

Quote:
ALSO, to comment on the size reduction issue, Garth Snow is a very big guy. He conformed to the rule changes made this off season and doesn't look a whole lot different at all.
Snow has had 4 inches chopped off his pads, those 4 inches closed the 5 hole in the butterfly.
Quote:
I honestly believe that the technique and size of goaltenders today is so far ahead of where they were 20 years ago that changing the size of their gear won't have a big affect on goal scoring.
You don think a reduction will increase scoring but Gretzky said he thinks that is the only thing that will increase scoring in the NHL.