View Single Post
Old
07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
But right now players want the best of both worlds and some have it. I don't agree with it and I never did. Why? For one basic reason that players can't be "fired" if they under-perform. Some players sign lifelong contracts and get very comfortable and lose some motivation to perform. In this case (yes you Scott Gomez), the teams who are committed to these players are totally screwed and helpless. How is that fair?
This here is an excellent point I wish to highlight. Players who underperform have real consequence beyond a demotion and that only would suffice if they held a sense of pride or care. Gomez is an arguable example of this. While I do believe he cares to a certain extent. His performance is worthy of being "fired" in any typical mainstream work environment. If I recall, the NFL employs a "cut" system that allows teams to essentially "cut" a player from their roster, thus terminating the contract. It would be something to consider, although I doubt the NHLPA would allow its implementation.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote