Thread: Movies: Man of Steel
View Single Post
Old
07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Billionaire Bot, you have every right to not be a Superman fan. However, if you are going to critisize him, know what you are talking about dude.

I know what you mean, but you can do better than that. I know there are differences in weaknesses and power, but the reality is that what you said applies to EVERY single superhero.

An incredibly uneducated post. That's like me saying Batman is ridiculous because sometimes he goes surfing wearing shorts over his batman costume (1960s Batman series). I hate hate that stupid scene (the spinning around the world to go back in time scene). But guess what? It's not a real Superman power. Donner foolishly gave him that power, that's the only time Superman was given that ability, even in the comics.

Far from the truth. Darkseid, Braniac, Metallo, Doomsday, Mongul, Zod, and Bizzaro, to name a few, can most definitely beat him (some have done just that).

Batman sopmetimes fights villains he should have no business fighting. He's fought some of the most powerful villains in the DC universe and come out on top. These are super-powered mean aliens! Yet, this man in a bat costume wins the fights! I love the Batman character( I'm a DC fan after-all), but I know that's ridiculous. Yet, no one complains about that. And I understand why, it's COMICS. Ofcourse some/most of it isn't going to be realistic. Yet people continue to forget that when it comes to Superman. Weird.

Again, you are more than free to dislike Superman. But you seemingly know very little about the character dude.
Well I should start off by saying I'm by no means a comic book fan. That doesn't stop me from being exposed to other media in which superheroes are portrayed. So in a way, you're right; my knowledge of Superman is limited to that which I've seen. What I've seen, I haven't liked. There's over half a century of Superman related media, which I think you'll have to agree is an incredibly daunting task for someone who doesn't like something to have to go back and research just to either say "Well I still hate this" or "Well I guess this isn't as bad as I thought." If I was to try and go back and read/watch everything Superman's been involved in, ever, there's just as good a chance I'll come away hating it even more as there is that I'll come away loving it.

Just say, for the sake of example, you tell me "I don't like Game of Thrones because _________." Then I say "Well that's actually different/explained/addressed in the books." Those books are each close to or over 1000 pages long, and that's a lot to ask of someone to read to prove them wrong, or to confirm their opinions. But it's still not even close to the amount of Superman related media.

What it boils down to is what I know of Superman, and what Superman I've been exposed to, whether or not it's canon in the comic books or whatever doesn't really matter because that's not the Superman I know, I haven't liked. So like, comic Superman never spun the world backwards, I can accept that. But the Superman I saw sure did.

I think that makes sense.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote