View Single Post
Old
07-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
With a London-centric media in the UK this could very well be the case.

The only thing I'd say though is I don't believe a 'London' team would really work (and they haven't exactly shone in the past) because London is sub-divided by local loyalties (mainly based along compass points or soccer affiliations), because of loyalties to previous and existing London-based hockey teams (such as Streatham) and also because of the sheer size of London. Where could you place a single London team where it was both affordable and easy enough to get to for 'Londoners' to build a bond with it?

Personally I'd like to see a return of the Streatham Redskins to professional hockey. It is a shame that the hub project couldn't aim a little higher, make it a 2500-3000 seat capacity and there is the possibility of EPL/EIHL ice hockey in London.
I just don't think the interest is there in London, a lot of the city is ethnic minorities and I try to say this without sounding racist but they just generally aren't interested in hockey at all. I think a London club would also struggle to afford imports because of the higher costs of living in London especially housing compared to a northern city like Sheffield.

Plus like you said they never had success in the past, my teammate once told us about when he played for Wightlink Raiders when they were still in the EPL and had a 10 game losing streak at the start of the season, and to cheer up the locker room one of the imports said "It's alright, when I played for the London Racers we didn't win a game until February"

Darren Peng is offline   Reply With Quote