View Single Post
Old
07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Hickey would have to do what Voynov did this past season in proving to the organization that he is ready to be a top six defenseman in the NHL. Voynov allowed the Kings the luxury to move Jack Johnson in order to upgrade their offense. The Kings are fortunate now that they don't have any holes to fill, so they don't have to force Hickey into a position he may not yet be ready for and they don't have any immediate needs to address.

Martinez has been a regular with the Kings for the past two years, he'll be turning 25 later this month, and he was once considered to be one of the team's top prospects on defense. He's an unheralded player who doesn't receive enough credit for his all around play. He's just so composed out there that you hardly notice him, he doesn't make mistakes and he's quick in moving the puck out of his own end. Until Hickey proves he can do all of that, there is no need or sense in discussing a transaction involving Martinez.
Essentially, that's what I'm referring too. If Hickey comes into camp and plays well enough to be considered equal to Martinez and Kings management wants to give Hickey playing time instead of having him sit as a 7th D-man or go through waivers (which is basically giving him away) then they could trade Martinez. Hickey's on ice value may be the same, but trade value is likely tilted heavily towards Martinez, so deal him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Why not keep both and trade Drewiske? He's a UFA after next season. Do you think there is any possibility Drewiske will re-sign? Let Hickey and Martinez battle it out over the course of a season. There's no rush to make a choice. I think we can get at least a 6th rounder for Drewiske. If we waive him, I think he'll be claimed.
This is my preferred choice, as I believe DS would find a way to rotate in 7-D if they were all top six caliber. TM did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
No it just means he would have to be sent down 13 days before the first regular season game. Since waivers go into effect 12 days before.
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ide-to-the-nhl

"The first day of the season which players are subject to waivers is twelve days prior to the start of the regular season, until the last day after the end of the team's season. It should be noted that the league resets all waiver transactions at the beginning of the next season's waiver period. So say that a player was waived and cleared waivers in the previous season, and was not re-called at any point for the remainder of the season. In the current season, that player rejoins the NHL roster and he must clear waivers again to be assigned to an AHL team."

Essentially, all players must clear again starting at that 12-day mark, even if they were assigned down to the AHL prior to that. It's a means to prevent a loophole, or you'd see teams with a lot of good young players (like us) sending a lot of guys down before that 12-day mark. Hickey would have to clear waivers, regardless of when you sent him down.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote