07-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Question, it seems like the biggest detriment against Grigorenko playing in the NHL this year that he does not yet have have a physically developed body, correct? No one seems to be arguing that his skill can't play in the NHL right now.

Considering we've seen Nugent-Hopkins, Skinner, Seguin and Kane all succeed as 18 year olds, none of which could be said to have "NHL bodies" at the time, I'm just wondering out loud how much his physical development, and need to fill out his body, would really hinder him from making the roster out of camp if he can demonstrate that his skill and instincts play now.

Not arguing one way or the other, I'm just curious if this is really that big an issue. Particularly since he's already spent so much time in the organization.
One thing all four of the guys you listed have going for them is their dynamic skating, which can keep them out of harms way and darting through openings where otherwise they would likely be outmuscled. Grigorenko is a very good skater, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as those guys at this time so his escape speed won't be as great. Since he's going to be in more physical battles, he's got to be strong enough to fight through more robust/mature players' checking. If he's upping his cardio, great, since then he can finish shifts stronger and go harder more often and that was a pre-draft concern.

Whatever his training regimen right now, he's got the Canada-Russia game to go to at the start of August just a few weeks away, followed by the Quebec training camp and early season games before he even comes to the Sabres training camp. It seems like a tall order for him to add too much more muscle from Dev Camp to August 1st..