Old
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The court case started because technically the Cup is supposed to be awarded to "the top amateur hockey team in Canada". I doubt any team outside of Canada will be given permission.

You don't think the CHL would rather have the Stanley Cup for one season instead of the Memorial Cup?
Well yeah.... that's how it started, but I don't think that the agreement that the NHL came to with the Cup trustees necessarily stipulated that it had to be a Canadian team that wins it in the event of the lockout.

And if the CHL does get the rights to the Cup for a year, then the Portland Winterhawks would just win it and crush everyone's dreams.

As for if the CHL would want it.... that's not the issue. It'd be what the Cup trustees want, and I'm not sure if they'd want to do that when the CHL already has a very prestigious Canadian trophy already.... though anyone's guess is as good/bad as anyone's, obviously. Now that I've thought about it some, though.... I'm am leaning more towards the AHL getting a crack at it in terms of likelihood, as it'd be the highest level of hockey in North America should the NHL lockout and you'd have a pretty good chance of some NHLers going down there to play for a season if the NHL was locked out, thereby increasing the talent pool even more.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote