Old
07-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You don’t need to ask me, you can look them up. These are McCabe’s non-PPGA numbers by season with the Leafs: 59, 64, 53, 46, 61, 67, 42. Per-game, 0.72, 0.78, 0.71, 0.61, 0.81, 0.82, 0.78. While being a big-minute player who went up against the opposition’s stars.

McCabe was not below-average defensively on a league-wide level. This is why eight coaches spanning five franchises over 14 years chose to keep putting him on the ice more than almost anyone else, against top competition. Was he below average for a top pairing, offensively oriented defenseman? Probably. But there is also no one available in this draft who would qualify as above average by that standard. They’ve all been picked.

There are two factors that I think might be affecting your judgment on this subject, as a new GM:

1) You are not remembering that the MLD is its own little “league” where the players are judged based on who else is available and who else is selected in the MLD.
2) You are not considering how important competition level is and how it impacts a defenseman’s performance. Sometimes we have a tendency to glorify lunchpail 3rd pairing defensive defensemen for being so “skilled” defensively and having “shutdown” ability but forget that this shutdown ability was only useful in limited minutes against substandard competition and that it wouldn’t look nearly as great in top-unit, top-opposition situations, and if it would, their coaches, who know much more than you or I, would have used them that way. (there are plenty of great shutdown defensemen whose minutes DO indicate heavy usage by their coaches in first pairing situations – Bill Hajt, Dave Burrows, Mark Tinordi, Ulf Samuelsson – so please don’t interpret this as me saying defensive defensemen are teh suck)
Fair enough. I don't think we're too far apart on what we know McCabe to be. Your point about the MLD being its own little league is well taken. I guess I should see how the draft plays out and consider the relativity regardless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Keep in mind that it was a 40-team draft so you’re not getting him much later than I did
Quiet! No one needed to know that...