View Single Post
Old
07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Here are some highlights from games in which Bernier appeared in this past season. He's seen limited ice time over the past few years (and for good reason) so there is still tons of room for him to develop into a starting goalie. And he's still 23 (will be turning 24 next month).

Came in relief of Quick here and got smoked:

I find Bernier's weaknesses to be the following:
He's not very good at fighting through screens and tracking the puck. His recovery after the initial shot also needs work and he's not very sharp when facing shots from an angle as he leaves a lot of holes open in the corners (a problem with most butterfly goalies).

As for his strengths:
He is technically sound and calm in net. You never see him get rattled, or at the very least he does a good job of hiding it. He actually makes good decisions when or when not to play the puck and actually handles the puck very well.

I personally think that a lot of Kings fans overrate Bernier and think a bit too highly of him simply due to the fact that he was a former 1st round pick. Granted, he doesn't get many starts, but he hasn't shown much consistency in the few opportunities he does get during the regular season.

I understand why other organizations would be reluctant to give up significant assets to acquire Bernier, however, he does have the technical skills that could translate well into a future starting netminder. In some ways, he does remind me of Mathieu Garon of a goalie who had all the skills and the success in the minors but struggles with consistency to hold down a starting role. I don't think it is a guarantee that he will be a starting goalie wherever he goes. At worst, he'll be like Martin Biron and be a steady and dependable backup goalie. At best, maybe he'll be like Jose Theodore and have some very good seasons and some average ones. He is still young so his development can go either way.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote