View Single Post
Old
07-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
I think they go hand in hand. Cutting down the players' percentage of HRR, or redefining HRR, is somewhat in vain if cap circumventing contracts like these are still allowed. These contracts have thrown salary structures out of whack and have really hurt small market teams, it's clearly a concern for them. They'll get both the percentage cut and these contracts disallowed. They probably won't get 5 year maximum lengths, but there'll definitely be caps IMO. Same with the way year to year salaries vary, they'll have some sort of limit on that.
I agree with thinking it would be good for the league to see that happen. I just think that if the league expects to shrink the pie, shrink the players % of the pie, cut down the length of contracts and disallow front loading that we will not see NHL hockey for a very long time.

To some degree, it seems they already have the ability to unilaterally define cap circumvention contracts as the Devils found out. But they haven't been too serious about any of the others that have occurred.