View Single Post
Old
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
flybynite77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Screw any trade of players to Nashville. Homer tried working out a deal all day yesterday and Poile couldn't agree. So take your 4 picks or bury yourself in financial hell. If Coots or Schenn were being dealt, the trade wouldve happened yesterday. I'd rather not had weber than lose Coots or Schenn, 4 picks or nothing.

And I think it helps us that the Nasville ownership is comprised of 6-8 people, who I'm assuming must have a majority vote to match. That's a lot harder than having one owner say just do it.
A trade could still happen, but it would be less than the deals that Holmgren previously offered Nashville. Nashville has less leverage than they did while Holmgren was trying to trade with them for Weber's rights. Nashville believed the Flyers would not give up 4 first round picks in an offer sheet.

Holmgren called Nashville's bluff and said "Here's the offer sheet. Here's your 4 first round picks. Match it and pay Weber $27million within the next calendar year."

So now Nashville has lost a lot of their leverage. Any deals worked out to replace the 4 first round picks will be less value than what Holmgren previously offered IMO.