Thread: Speculation: 2012 Off Season Thread (pt2)
View Single Post
Old
07-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Knightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
No. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Offer sheets are not a viable asset acquisition tool. The offer sheet system is in place to ensure that young RFA's are paid a fair wage in line with the current market. It's insurance against cheap owners and GM's abusing players who are without contracts but not yet UFA's.

Of course, the offer sheet system is utilized by teams who might be just one piece of the puzzle away from a Cup, or when a team thinks a talent is so generational any amount of late first rounders is worth the sheet, which is exactly what we're seeing now with Philly.

The first part of your statement is spot on, but your second is very incorrect.

Scott Stevens. St. Louis went on an offer sheet frenzy long ago, sheeting Scott Stevens in 1990 and Brendan Shanahan in 1991 (which eventually forced them to give up Stevens as compensation).

Adam Graves. Snatched away by the Rags when he was a nobody. The Oilers didn't match. The Rags also tried this again with Joe Sakic, interestingly enough.

There are a few others I can't quite remember. Most of them are matched, but some are not. Some even work out in the offering team's favor, ala Graves.
Even more interestingly, Sakic signed it. Avs matched obviously

Knightmare is online now   Reply With Quote