View Single Post
Old
07-19-2012, 09:10 PM
bauer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Also, can someone explain to me why the Preds would bother matching a lifetime contract that pays Weber 26 million in the first year just to trade him as soon as they are able?

If Poile goes to ownership with that in mind, ownership is probably going to opt for the 4 first round picks and keep the 26 million.
exactly. i mentioned this in another thread. what matters most is what Weber wants. if we are led to believe that he indeed wants out of Nashville, then the Preds really have no choice but to take the 4 1sts from Philly or work out a deal.

look at it this way, say the Preds match, they are gonna be screwed financially for many years. 27M alone just for Weber next year. that's ridiculous for a small market team to pay. what else are the Preds gonna be able to do? they'll have Weber, Rinne and a bunch of scrubs.

the West is a tough conference and we've already seen the Wild get much better. they've already lost Suter plus some of their offense. i don't think it's a stretch to suggest the Preds might not make the playoffs next year. i mean, if they couldn't win with Suter, why would anyone expect them to win without him? they got bounced by Phoenix in 5 games in only the 2nd round, and that was with Suter. if you're Weber, why remain with a team that might not have a shot at winning for the next decade?

Nashville might be better off doing a complete rebuild. having 2 first rounders for the next 4 years is not a bad thing. i'm sure they'd be able to rebuild fairly quickly. they'd probably be a deeper, more well-rounded team if they let Weber go than if they kept him.