View Single Post
Old
07-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
giving up 4 firsts is risky business, imagine if this were pre-2008 for us, and we gave away Karlsson, Cowen, Turris (traded pick for Rundblad and then traded for Turris) and Zibanejad. Karlsson is already on the level of Weber.

Mind you we would have finished higher with Weber, but it's always a gamble when you give up four first rounders.
Of course I would give up our next 5 first rounders to get a player as good as Karlsson.... or Crosby... Malkin etc.

The 4 first rounders of the Senators before 2008 were O'Brien, Foligno, Lee, Meszaros. All of them turned into NHL players, so actually not too bad of picks. But you would easily give up that for Weber (or Karlsson).

I don't see it as too great of a risk from Philadelphia. They have a lot of the pieces signed and have a lot of young players. They can take the risk and not be fleeced of the the future and also expect to finish at least in a playoff spot for the next 4 years and not tank like the Leafs did after trading for Kessel. Of course lots of things can chance in 4 years.

I liked the Pronger signing when they made it. And even though he got injured they did make a final. I would take that calculated risk again if I was Philly and they have.

If you are going to gamble, might as well do it on studs like Pronger or Weber or even Jagr as Philly has. You are gambling so much more to make an offer sheet for a secondary player or just a futures player or sign unpredictable players like say Leino as a UFA to expensive long term deals. Philly is making SMART plays. They are acquiring true superstar players. And traded their own establshed players for true top echlon prospects or very high draft picks that yielded Courtier.

If I am a Flyers fan I could not be happier with the kind of moves the team has made for many years now. Go with Quality. Commit long term. In the unlikely event a player is not working out like Carter or Richards.. move them for quality not just quantity. Use your assets to get equally as valuable assets.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote