2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread
View Single Post
07-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Originally Posted by
4 reasons the picks really dont matter all that much:
4. Shea FREAKIN WEBER
You do realize that:
1. Schenn & Couturier have only 2 yrs left on their entry level deal and then they become RFAs.
2. At the same time, Giroux will be a RFA too.
3. And Read at that time will become a UFA as well.
4. And Hartnell is a UFA after next season.
5. Timmonen is most likely retiring after next season
6. Briere will be almost be done or declining when 1, 2, & 3 are happening (with 1 yr left but easy to buyout).
7. They still are stuck with Pronger with a 35+ contract and wont be able to keep him on LTIR for as long as his contract lasts.
8. And most importantly, Philly has next to nothing in its prospect pool right now
Losing 4 first round picks is not nothing and will definitely hurt Philly. They basically have a 2 yr window to win a Cup and then they are going to be in trouble. They are going to have a tough time re-signing all of Giroux, Schenn, Read, and Couturier AT THE SAME TIME! Their defense will be phenomenal but eventually their offense could be pretty bad (hmm, that sounds familiar as a Panthers fan).
I also disagree that the draft is more like NBA...a lot of teams find really good players with picks in the 20s. Guys like John Carlsson were picked at 27 (was actually a pick that would've been Philly's), Flyers drafted Giroux at 22, and guys like Howden, Kuznetov, Coyle, Etem & Nelson were all drafted from 25-30 in 2010. Its not impossible to get gems in the late first round and not uncommon either. The 2013 draft is actually suppose to be pretty good so you may get a really good building block player in the mid 20s.
View Public Profile
Visit Coolburn's homepage!
Find More Posts by Coolburn